Friday, August 03, 2007

The "I Can Make That!" Shopper

Hi everyone, here is my segment from the Prim Talk Radio podcast from Friday Aug 3/07. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to post to me. :D

HEATHER

The “I Can Make That!” Shopper, by Heather Burton-Monahan of Cotton Picken Prims

Hi everyone, it’s Heather from Cotton Picken Prims.com. On this week’s segment, I will be talking about how to turn that “I can make that!” shopper into a buyer. It will be a shorter segment this week and I’ve been out of town this week but I do hope you find some helpful suggestions and tips.

You work long hours, putting in long weary days creating wonderful wares to sell and all that time and effort is robbed of you with 4 words. That particular shopper is out there at every show, waiting to make her move. Us crafters cringe at the thought of it being our booth she preys on that day. Yep you guessed it, that craft show patron who walks up to one of your crafted creations and blatantly yells out to her friend standing right next to her…”I can make that!” You feel your heart skip a beat and then the anger and hurt sets in. Trust me, I’ve been in your shoes. The first few craft shows I participated in I would hear that once or twice and it would just make me so upset that I almost gave up crafting and selling my wares all together. I used to be so glad when that person would walk out of my booth and move on, but then I thought wait a minute, maybe I can turn that negativity into a winning solution with a slight turn of the table.

So what would a skilled crafter say to a person who says those wonderful 4 words? Well, my standard reply is “yes, but will you have the time to make the item?” Usually, that is answered with an embarrassed look on the person’s face, that yes, I the crafter do have excellent hearing and heard you make the remark to your friend. Then the shopper usually replies, well, I guess I could find the time as it can’t be that difficult to make that? This is where I will briefly run through how much time and materials cost the item will take to make. Then the shopper is usually faced with sticker shock, for here in Canada most good quality fabrics have a price tag of over $10 per metre and finding good craft supplies in Canada can be a hunt unto itself. I swoop in with some good Marketing skills and to make a special order request if the fabric colour is not suitable for her needs.

She likes the idea, oh I can have one made in a colour I like and it saves me from having to make one? Sure, no problem I beam, and then out comes my notebook and I jot down the request and take a deposit. Now that finicky shopper is happy for she doesn’t have to make the item and has it in the colour she would prefer and I’m happy for I’ve sold an item.

There are many ways you can deter these types of shoppers. One way is to have a little demo going in your booth so that they can see just how much time and effort goes into making the item that they like. Another way is to have some of your supplies with you and be working on an item when traffic is slow. A small stitchery is perfect as you can put it down when you have customers enter your booth and easily pick it back up once your traffic slows down again. Keeps you busy during the slow periods of the show and in return you have another item to put in your booth to sell and it didn’t take any extra time away from family time.

Another way to turn that “I can do that” shopper into a buyer is to offer kits. This is perfect for those shoppers that are serious about making your item. You can easily put kits together and offer them for sale. A win win situation for you booth. That shopper gets her crafting project she wants to do and you receive a sale by selling her the kit to accomplish her goal.

As I mentioned, in Canada we have difficulty finding good craft supply stores with reasonable prices. Most times we have to order from US companies to complete a craft for we can’t even find those supplies here in Canada. Why not order a few extra and if you can, offer a few craft supplies to sell for the shopper that wants to make the similar item. You will make a sale and the shopper will be happy to have supplies to complete a new craft. One point I should mention on offering kits and supplies for sale is to contact the show’s organizer and see if they allow you to do that in your booth. You wouldn’t want the organizer to think you are selling imported manufactured goods.

The “I can make that” shopper is not only a potential customer but also a fellow craft enthusiast. She probably didn’t realize her comment was interpreted as rude more so than some one who admires your hard work. Make use of this, by pointing out your high quality work, your time and hard labour that went into making your item. Sometimes we tend to assume that this type of customer recognizes all our efforts in making our wares or even that we made each item ourselves. Yes, it’s surprisingly how many times during a show I’m asked “did you make all these lovely items yourself?” I always reply with a broad smile, “why yes I did!”

It may not be easy, especially when you are tired and exhausted near the end of the craft show day to tolerate a customer like this. If you put on a brave front and offer a few of these tips I’ve given today, I can promise you that your heart will not sink and you will be prepared to offer the customer something to fit her needs. She’s happy with her purchase and your happy with the sale.

I hope I’ve given you some helpful hints on how to deal with these types of shoppers. I hope you will visit Prim Talk Radio next week, where I will be offering helpful tips and tricks on how to get yourself out of that Crafting Slump! Be sure to visit my website Cotton Picken Prims at www.cottonpickenprims.com . I’ve extended my pattern sale, buy 2 get one FREE. Till next week everyone, stay safe and have fun!

No comments: